[PLUG] fonts on browser

Randy Stapilus stapilus at ridenbaugh.com
Fri Apr 2 04:35:02 UTC 2010

I tried solving one font problem and ended up with a new one.

Running Linux Mint (current edition), dual-booted with Windows XP, I
wanted to import fonts from Windows; the lack of some comparable
fonts are a bar to some of the desktop publishing I do. So I copied
the fonts directory in XP (that is, windows/fonts) over to a memory
stick, thence to the Linux side of the machine at usr/share/fonts.
New fonts did show up (though not all, a couple I hoped for did not
materialize) in the Open Office docs I opened.

But, when I went to use Firefox and Galeon, no text of any sort
showed up in the browser window - only web wage images and design.
The problem doesn't seem to extend to other programs - the Tomboy
notes program, for example, seems to operate as normal.

I suppose (I hope) I can reverse this by deleting the fonts directory
I just copied over. But I'm wondering if there's a way to get the
fonts to work in all of these places. Or is there something about
what I did that would cause the installation to work in OO but not in
the browsers?

Randy Stapilus
www.ridenbaugh.com
Northwest politics and public affairs