[PLUG] 2nd Router Setup

Neal nsedell at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 18:41:20 UTC 2010

Richard,

I rounded up a WRT54G ver 8 for testing. Resetting the factory
defaults does in fact worked without changing anything as its default
LAN address is 192.168.1.x and my LAN is 192.168.0.x. Also continued
to work Just Fine after upgrading the firmware to the current release
for my hardware version, 8.00.8 build 001.

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Russell Senior
<russell at personaltelco.net> wrote:
> One thing that you can do that's even easier that all this
> separate-network silliness, since you already have a gateway router
> (the netgear), just plug a cat5 from a LAN port on the netgear to a
> LAN (not WAN!) port on the linksys, and the wireless network will
> bridge onto the netgears LAN network.  You might want/need to turn off
> the DHCP server on the linksys, and you might want to give your
> linksys a non-conflicting static IP on the netgears LAN network.

I wasn't going to bring this up but since Russell mentioned it ...   ;)

Both the LAN address and DHCP disable are in the same place on the
Basic Setup page, but I'm sure you already knew that. This has the
added benefit of possibly eliminating the switch the WRT54G is plugged
into if you only have two other devices in that location.

Speaking of complicated, the two network scenario assumes you don't
want to access the ReplayTV DVR from the WRT54G network side of
things. If you do that would require setting up a static route in the
WRT54G. This is under Advanced Routing. Assigning a static IP to the
ReplayTV DVR would make things easier, although a reserved DHCP
assignment may suffice and allows doing all the fixed IP address
assignments for your LAN in one place. I've had varying luck with
different DHCP servers and clients over the years so it may or may not
work (reliably), especially with the wireless link in the path.

NealS