[PLUG] resources for configuring WinXP clients on a Samba server

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Apr 7 01:34:42 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> writes:

Russell> I have made my life bearable for the last decade or two by
Russell> intentionally not knowing how Microsoft stuff works.
Russell> However, I am in the midst of needing to configure some XP
Russell> client boxes and need some reference material to get me up to
Russell> speed on my choices (domains vs workgroups, roaming profiles,
Russell> etc) and howtos on connecting these things to a Samba server.

Russell> Can anybody point me at useful material?

Paul> Will the XP boxes be authenticating against Samba -- or merely
Paul> using resources exported by Samba? If the latter, how is
Paul> authentication being done?

Authenticating against Samba.  This is a small office, I did this once
upon a time for w2k.  Most reference materials I find spends most of
its time saying how to configure Samba, but seems to assume people know
how to configure Windows clients.  I don't.

seniorr at aracnet.com