[PLUG] CD-ROM burner.

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Wed Apr 7 05:12:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 03:19:49PM -0700, b kielhorn wrote:
> If anyone has an idea about what is wrong, please let me know.

Do you have write permissions on the CD drive's device node? A long
listing of the device node would be helpful:

  $ ls -lFh /dev/cd*
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr  3 11:45 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr  3 11:45 /dev/cdrw -> hdc

Those are just symlinks, and you need to see the permissions set on
the actual device node:

  $ ll /dev/hdc
  brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 22, 0 Apr  3 11:45 /dev/hdc

On my system, I need to belong to the 'cdrom' group in order to even
read from the drive (let alone write). And I do:

  $ groups | grep -io cdrom
  cdrom

I'd be surprised if your distribution doesn't work similarly. If you
don't belong to the 'cdrom' group, you can add yourself via the
'adduser' command:

  # adduser yourusernamehere cdrom
  Adding user `yourusernamehere' to group `cdrom' ...
  Adding user yourusernamehere to group cdrom
  Done.

You'll need to log out and log back in (or restart your desktop
session) for the changes to take effect.

--
Paul