[PLUG] CentOS 5.x/Fedora 12, Connect to Server, OOo read-only files

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Tue Apr 13 18:39:45 UTC 2010

I'm trying to move a bunch of files off my desktop on to a server and
still be able to access them from my rover (eeePC 100 running Fedora 12)
and the workstation (CentOS 5).

I have two issues with this setup.  One _rather_ important (files open
in OOo as read-only) and the other an irritation (Fedora insists on
labeling the icon on the desktop with *everything* about the mount.)

So first problem.  When I do a Menu -> Connect to Server and fill in all
the important information: Service type:SSH, Server: host.example.com,
Folder: /home/user, Name to use for the connection: user at host I get
connection and I've copy/cut and pasted to the mount point, dragged and
dropped to it and subdirectories with no problems.  But ... when I open
one of the files with OOo (Calc) it opens as read-only.  Permissions are
fine.  The only hick-up is the owner and group IDs that show in File
Browser window are those on the server which is not what I have on the
workstation or rover.  But if I edit a text file with gedit I can.

OOPS I forgot.  The shell on the remote system is rssh not bash but this
is not a chroot/jail setup.  I suppose I'll try with bash in case there
is an environment (~/.bashrc,~/.bash_profile) problem.

Any thoughts ideas on what is going on?

The second "irritation" I have some more testing to do.  I think I found
the solution the other day.  Just not enough TUITs.

\\||/
Rod
--
All typos, mis-spelings, and bad grammar are mine but freely distributable.