[PLUG] Dumb script question

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Apr 19 03:24:15 UTC 2010

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 20:16:46 -0700
wes <plug at the-wes.com> dijo:

>how do you "change to root" ? I'm betting it's with sudo su rather
>than just su. When you use sudo, it asks for jjj's password instead of
>root's.
>
>There are 2 solutions available: change your script to use sudo in
>front, or just have the commands run as root automatically on a
>schedule via cron.

Thanks for the heads up. Of course sudo su uses jjj's password, and I
must have done that, although I could swear I used just su. I say that
I must have done that because just now I tried su and got an
authentication error. I suspect there is no root password set on the
computer. I think Ubuntu does not set a root password by default.

And, after thinking about it, the cron approach sounds simpler. I could
set it to run just once a month, which would be sufficient to keep the
clock reasonably current.

Off to figure out cron.