[PLUG] Wireless Access Point Security

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 22:45:14 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
> m0gely wrote:
>> 802.11b is also slow. There is no reason to set the router to B only.
>
> Slow was part of the strategy to make it less desirable. Probably lame,
> but there you are.
>
> The only device that will be using wireless in this house is the WET11,
> which will be connected to a ReplayTV DVR. And the WET11 only speaks
> 802.11b. The only thing the DVR uses the connection for is downloading
> schedule information, so speed is not an issue.
>
> I'll be using my laptop to verify that the access point works, but I
> won't be using it wirelessly on a day-to-day basis. I have wired
> Ethernet jacks around the house in most of the places I'll want to be
> able to use the laptop.
>
>>  Use WPA2 and a good password. Done.
>>

> Passwording is a good idea, and I should figure out if the WET11 can
> have one loaded into it to use to access the WRT54G. Re-configuration of
> sharing on our XP and Linux machines so that only a "transfer" directory
> is shared on each machine, and that we move things out of them quickly,
> has been deemed to be sufficient by my wife.
>
> Thanks for the ideas.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

Dick,

Just a note that you can operate in a mixed environment. You should be
able to set the WRT54G to use B/G mode thereby not affecting the
WET11. From what I've gathered from previous posts you're also in a
less dense housing area so you shouldn't have to worry too much about
wifi thieves.

Maybe network security might be another topic that could be covered
during a meeting if we lack speakers. I'd volunteer to share what I've
used and know.

Drew-