[PLUG] Resolved, for now: Wireless Access Point Security

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat Apr 24 23:29:46 UTC 2010

drew wymore wrote:
> Just a note that you can operate in a mixed environment.

Understood.

> You should be
> able to set the WRT54G to use B/G mode thereby not affecting the
> WET11.

As mentioned, operating in b only was part of a possibly lame strategy.
If I ever decide I want to use the laptop elsewhere on the property, I
can always switch to mixed mode.

> From what I've gathered from previous posts you're also in a
> less dense housing area so you shouldn't have to worry too much about
> wifi thieves.

I figured that was the case, too. It's part of the reason I'm less
concerned about it than my wife is. However, the advice given on this
list today has eased her concerns.

> Maybe network security might be another topic that could be covered
> during a meeting if we lack speakers. I'd volunteer to share what I've
> used and know.

Good plan. I suspect there are at least a few others on the list that
are more users than sys admins. Most of the time I'm on a system where
someone else is in charge of network security.

For now, the system is up and running. The last step my wife wants me to
do is to take the laptop out and see how far I have to walk up and down
the street to lose signal. It's not raining right now, so I'll go do that.

Thanks to all for all the good advice and support.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens