[PLUG] 'buntus

Darren Couch dcouch at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 18:36:29 UTC 2010

Well, IMHO, the article is mainly a subjective opinion about Ubuntu.  The
point about Xorg is silly-if he would have typed "man xorg" in the mystery
terminals he couldn't find it would have told him all about the new Xorg.
As for the endless "GNU vs (insert whatever here)" debate that has been
raging since before there was a Ubuntu, well, most of the old timers really
don't care anymore.  I started with Linux back in the Debian Slink/Potato
time, tried some Mandrake in there as well (Which was heavily criticized at
the time for being too "windowsy"), eventually moving to Ubuntu 5.10 and
bouncing between Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint and Arch since then.  At some point
I just have to say I'm used to apt (or pacman), I know how to set up a Buntu
or Arch distro exactly how I like it.  I loathe KDE 4.x, I rarely need to
tinker with runlevels on my home computer...so...
I can say I keep continually returning to Ubuntu mainly due to ease and
polish.  My mom can use it.  the simple fact is there are a lot of distros
out there for any flavor or style.  if you like typing "init 3" to begin the
tweaking process, go with Fedora.  Otherwise just sudo aptitude install gimp
and drive on.