[PLUG] 'buntus

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 19:57:27 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Michael Moore
<moore.michael.m at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Bruce <kd7vvk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I landed in the Kubuntu environment.  Kubuntu 9.10, in my experience,
>> fell flat on it's ISO.  I assumed it was growing pains of the latest
>> KDE.  I installed Ubuntu on my "it has to work" machine and then used
>> the other laptop to tinker with 10.04 (starting with Alpha 2) of both
>> Ubuntu and Kubuntu.  Neither seems to be very spectacular in what it
>> does.  I haven't had any major problems, though I am far from a power user.
>
> My thought:  Ubuntu might not be the best choice for an "it has to
> work" machine.  That's not to insult or disparage Ubuntu, it's just a
> reflection of Ubuntu being a reasonably bleeding-edge distro, akin to
> Fedora.  Any bleeding-edge anything is likely to have some bugs &
> burps that creep into the shiny and new.  Often, the problems that
> distros get blamed for are the result of bugs (or, design decisions or
> implementation changes that might be controversial) upstream, as Drew
> already mentioned with regard to the missing xorg.conf.  To some
> extent, it is the responsibility of distros to put together a fully
> functioning whole, but in practice there are so many moving parts that
> it simply isn't possibly to be up-to-the-minute and completely free of
> sometimes show-stopping bugs or usability issues.  And when upstream
> devs do something that annoys a lot of users, it's always the
> bleeding-edge distro's users that get exposed to the annoyance first.
>
> Personally, I'd stay with something that doesn't prioritize the latest
> and greatest over stability or usability for an "it has to work"
> machine -- especially in light of your unsatisfying experience with
> KDE/Kubuntu.  In the Debian universe, there is nothing more stable
> than Debian stable itself.  In the Red Hat universe, many here have
> talked about Scientific Linux or CentOS.
>
> Michael M.

Good points Michael. I think one thing that I took away from that
article as well was that it appears from the perspective of the writer
that corporate interests, in this case Canonical, take away from the
interests of the user base and that there seems to be a communication
problem between the developers and the community and maybe that's
where most of his problem is and not with the changes themselves. What
seems to get lost in the discussion in my opinion is that Ubuntu for
better or worse has become the face of desktop linux in many ways and
with its notoriety and large install base it gets blamed for some
things that have nothing to do with the distro itself (see the xorg
complaint which is silly to me).