[PLUG] 'buntus

Aaron ke7ezt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 22:34:30 UTC 2010

I totally agree with Robert.  I've used all of the major distros. I feel
Ubuntu is the best one.  Yes, the upstream dev's change how things work.  We
learn what the changes are, and adapt.  In the end, I haven't see any
changes that I disagree with. Even the xorg.conf issue, which I hated
initially.  Now--I know how to configure without it and don't even consider
it an issue.

Just my tiny 2 cents,

Aaron

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Bruce <kd7vvk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like some comment from your vast pool of experience as to what
> > this writer said.  Most of my curiosity  stems from the latter half of
> > this article.  Pointers to articles, other distros, etc. are all
> > welcomed.  If they come with your observations or opinions, so much the
> > better.
> >
> > http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/04/where-is-ubuntu-going-to.html
>
> Misguided, at best.  Not a single argument holds weight.
>
> Command line - boot into recovery mode, or if you want to get fancy,
> add 'break' to your kernel line in grub.  You'll get a command line
> with a busybox shell.
>
> Runlevels - they are antiquated.  Upstart is just one solution to the
> problem. Ubuntu has implemented a transition to runlevels, if you
> still want them: create an /etc/inittab file.
>
> Xorg - same issue.  Create an xorg.conf file.
>
> Gimp - it didn't fit on the CD.  Still available via apt-get or synaptic.
>
> Window buttons on left - easily changed.
>
> Ubuntu has its flaws, just like every other Linux distro, and just
> like everything else.  But for me it gets ~95% right of what I want.
> For the other ~5% I can change it, and I do.
>
> Regards,
> - Robert

aaron at kalosaurusrex:~$
Discere docendo - To learn through teaching.
Libera Te Tutemet - You, free yourself.