[PLUG] Fedora 12 and vmware mess...

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 01:03:56 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Michael C. Robinson
<plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 11:23 -0700, drew wymore wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:18 AM, Michael C. Robinson
>> <plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:
>> > Well, the Fedora group needs to get busy and tune the system up.  I am
>> > having major speed problems and I had to do something quite strange to
>> > get Dirk Dashing and Rick Rocket working with sound.  I had to uninstall
>> > a pulseaudio alsa backend rpm.  I also had to install an obnoxious
>> > number of debuginfo rpm packages.  Do delete all the SDL libraries from
>> > the game directories.  Another tip on Rick Rocket, add /usr/lib to the
>> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the rickrocket script.
>>
>> How old are those games? You can't really blame the distro if things
>> like ALSA and OSS are deprecated for something better like Pulse
>> Audio.
>
> With all due respect, the author of these Linux games worked with me to
> troubleshoot them.  Troy is working on Dirk Dashing 2 which hasn't come
> out yet.  What good is an upgrade if all the old software that people
> actually have gets broken by it?

I certainly meant no disrespect. At some point software gets old and
new things come along in terms of hardware/software and it totally
sucks when something that you're used to and also enjoy doesn't work
properly especially when you've paid for it. But such is software I
guess. Very nice of the dev to work with you to troubleshoot it btw.