[PLUG] CentOS 5.x/Fedora 12, Connect to Server, OOo read-only files

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Fri Apr 30 17:16:08 UTC 2010

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

A quick follow up to my own post.

Looks like gvfs and gnome-vfs are not what I need.  Gnome-vfs on CentOS
is *broken* in that it doesn't work with OOo when using a sftp
connection.  That works OK with Fedora 12.

The biggest problem is gvfs doesn't present a non-GUI based "mount
point" (?).  It is hidden down in a ~.gvfs directory.  So non-Gnome (and
even some Gnome) programs can't find or get access to the directory.

I'm current re-allocating some tuits to figuring out how to get sshfs
(FUSE based) to work from Gnome.  There is the afuse (auto-mount for
FUSE) package but it appears to need to be run once for each mount.  A
bunch of fun if you need 15-20 connections.  A play-well-with-others/
enhanceable version of gvfs would be best.  (Not sure I'm up to that
level of hacking.  8-( )

So in the mean time I have created a bunch of mount points on my
desktop, open a terminal window, and mount/unmount them as needed.

\\||/
Rod