[PLUG] SRM console problems...

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Mon Aug 2 04:07:30 UTC 2010

Is it true on the PC164 Alpha that anything connected to the second
channel of the onboard ide controller can't be used to install Linux?
Why is SRM console limited in this way and is there a fix?

I am also having problems with a vga extender cable.  I plug in a
monitor direct to the matrox millenium, no problem.  If I use an
extender cable though, I get a localhost:6001 error.  It isn't
the linksys kvm switch as I have tried taking that out of the loop
and I still had problems.  I don't know if the extender cable is
broken or if CentOS simply has problems on the Alpha working through
an extender cable.

Is there any way around having to boot ARC console from floppy when SRM
console is installed?  Apparently a file, pc164nt.rom, has to be loaded
from SRM.  Why can't that be placed on a FAT12/16 partition?  Is it
possible to have boot loaded into the NVRAM and switch between them?