[PLUG] Eee PC 900 shutdown problem...

Someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Aug 6 21:50:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 01:43 -0700, drew wymore wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 12:44 AM, someone <plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:
> > The problem is, Xandros when the power adapter is connected simply won't
> > shut down.  This problem started when the battery ran completely out of
> > power.  If I disconnect the power brick, I can shut down and the computer
> > won't automatically restart 3 seconds later.  I've tried installing Slackware
> > 13, the problem didn't go away.  I'm tempted to try Ubuntu 10.04
> > hearing that there might be a fix for this, but not knowing exactly
> > why this is happening
> > the chances of fixing it are slim to none.
> >
> > I've tried adding modprobe -r snd-intel-hda to the halt script, but that
> > doesn't fix the problem.
> >
> > This must be a hardware problem, how could a software bug manifest
> > itself magically two years after the computer was purchased and came
> > off of
> > warranty?

> Sounds like a HAL sleep problem if I understand the question
> correctly. There have been various sleep problems with Linux laptops
> for years =(

The battery is shot, so I'm replacing it.  Thing is, this problem only
shows up when the laptop is plugged in.  If I unplug the laptop, I can
shut it down even if the battery is installed.  Anyone know of a way to
get around this issue?  Having to unplug a laptop to shut it off is a
pain in the neck as most people want to plug their netbook in when they
aren't using it.