[PLUG] Naming RFC 1918 networks...

Someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sat Aug 7 02:27:09 UTC 2010

There seem be three options roughly:

1)  Use .foo TLD which isn't used on the Internet ( dangerous ).

2)  Use globally registered domain name ( wasteful ).

3)  Use a subdomain of a globally registered domain name ( limiting ).

Option 1 is dangerous but desireable, because it involves less typing
than say option 3 and isn't wasteful the way option 2 is.

I have another idea of how this can be solved:

Image this:

http://local:www.ivorysoap.org

           or:

http://Internet:www.ivorysoap.org

           or:

http://www.ivorysoap.org

           or:

http://NetJapan:www.ivorysoap.org

           or:

http://NetUS:www.ivorysoap.org

           or ...

Explanation:

The first one means this is a name of a private host on a private
network that may or may not access the Internet.

The second is an alternative to the third for people who
want to be explicit.

The third is anywhere on the Internet go to http://www.ivorysoap.org
and this is in use today.

The fourth, NetJapan, means on the Internet in Japan.

The fifth, NetUS, means on the Internet in the United States naturally.

I'm thinking that the geographic location indicator should be 8
characters max.  Nobody can register local, private, or reserved.

To ease the usage of this system, new versions of the popular web
browsers can query what the global identifiers are and let you select
the one you mean from a short list.

The advantage is, name repeats become possible and what can be used
inside a private network to name the machines opens up.

With 8 characters and 26*2 possible choices for each character, that
comes out to 52^8 ( a lot of possible strings ).  Some number of these
strings should be discarded as nonsense.  Discarding case, about 20
billion possible strings.

I don't foresee people typing these geographic labels in.