[PLUG] Naming RFC 1918 networks...

Nathan W nathan at nathanewilliams.com
Sat Aug 7 07:27:25 UTC 2010

On 08/06/2010 11:39 PM, Russell Johnson wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2010, at 10:22 PM, Someone wrote:
>

>> I like .pri as a TLD for a private network.  I can't tell though if pri
>> is a global TLD or not.  I suppose I could use my registered domain name
>> instead of ending private addresses with pri.
>>

> Not sure what you mean by 'global'. If you mean recognizable everywhere such as .com, .net or .us, I do not believe it to be a registered TLD. It's not listed by IANA as a valid TLD, which means you should never find it on the public internet. Basically, if it's not listed by IANA, it's not valid on the internet. Which means you could use .quimby as your internal TLD, and unless IANA adds it to the list, your good to go.
>

>> As far as the this is a solution looking for a problem comment.  No.
>> There is a desire in the world today to use the same name for
>> different web sites.
>>
> How would this work? There may be a desire, but I do not see how this would work except in the case of a split horizon DNS where internal hosts resolve one site and external hosts resolve a second site.
>

>>  What I am proposing is that a scope field
>> be added to domain names as a separate text field.  You don't type
>> this in, another mechanism allows choosing the correct scope indicator
>> from a list.
>>
> How? Magic?
>

>> The scopes would include local, Internet, USA, UK (England),
>> DE (Germany), etcetera.
>>
> So... based on geography? This is already done. For instance, many sites direct you automatically to the US version of their website when you appear to be coming from a US based IP address. Or to the Canadian version if you appear to be coming from Canada. This is done based on your IP address, which is not fool proof.
>
> Are you trying to reinvent .us, .uk, .jp, etc?
>

>> The point of scoping every Internet domain name is to permit the usage
>> of any name on a local network and the usage of popular names more than
>> once for different public web sites.
>>
> It sounds like you are trying to re-impliment something that is already available. I still don't see how using www.microsoft.com more than once can point to more than one entity.
>

>> What I foresee is a drop down menu that starts out with a country code
>> for every single country plus local and Internet (everywhere).
>>
> So, another level that I have to navigate through to get where I'm going?
>
> We already do this, in a couple of ways, one of which I pointed out above.
>

>>  The
>> default is of course Internet where a list of choices becomes
>> highlighted when there is a collision.  As far as claims that there is
>> no problem, that is a bunch of bull.  No matter how many bits there
>> are to represent computers on the Internet, there are only so many
>> names that people are going to want to type in.  Why should someone
>> in England be prevented from registering a robinson.org domain
>> because someone elsewhere in the world already has?

> [...]
my two cents:

it's worthless to suggest making things any more complicated than they
already are. <rant> i can't imagine having someone successfully type the
suggested options into an address bar when 7/10 people to whom i give a
common (yahoo.com) web address put it into their search bar, and have no
freaking clue what is meant by an 'address bar'. "really, you just
googled yahoo.com?! @)#(IS!!"</end rant> this type of subdivision would
make life for technical support a never ending nightmare.

another issue that instantly springs to mind is trademark. the domains
everyone wishes they could have gotten their hands on, and that a
suggestion like the prior would presumably reopen, typically belong to
global businesses (obvious and hilarious exception being nissan.com)
whose trademarks would protect their brand all over the world.

finally, delimiting tld usage based on function has failed horribly
already, with the masses clustering onto the popular tlds look how
popular *cough* .biz domains are...

i'm much more impressed by the clever naming coming out of the lesser
used tld's, such as happen.in (after checking just now, it appears
they've gone out of business; they were an event tracker for various
metro areas), goo.gl, and the awesome cr.yp.to