[PLUG] Could anyone use a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250?

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Aug 10 12:27:45 UTC 2010

wes wrote:
> well I know I can put anything behind the box supplied by comcast, but I was
> looking for more of a direct-to-cable solution. At least, I want to be able
> to change the channel on the cable box from the device. google tells me that
> a pvr250 works with an IR blaster, so that would work fine for me.

I don't think there are any boxes you can get that can go direct to
cable and work with Comcast. It relates to the encryption they use,
somehow. Some months ago we bought a used ReplayTV 4080 DVR. It has the
equivalent of an IR blaster. Using gaffers tape one obscures the IR
window of the Comcast box while affixing the IR transmitter in front of
it. Now, the Comcast remote is useless and all functionality comes from
the ReplayTV remote. That means that we no longer use the Comcast
channel guide. The model ReplayTV we bought comes with a lifetime
subscription to a channel guide service. If you are building a Myth TV
box you'll need something similar. IIRC there is a service for about
$18/year.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens