[PLUG] Changing from Wireless to Wired Networking

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Aug 10 14:08:03 UTC 2010

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, Rich Shepard wrote:

> xubuntu-10.04 [....]
>
> However, even when booting the laptop with the ethernet cable
> connected, we cannot get connection to be recognized. The system
> keeps trying to connect to a wireless network (we see 6 others in
> the neighborhood), and I cannot turn off that search and turn on the
> wired connection. I've tried Fn-F8, the wireless switch via the
> keyboard, but it makes no difference.

The big question is whether or not NetworkManager is managing the
network connections:

   ps -ef | grep Network

If it is, then there should be a little NetworkManager GUI applet that
will control things. I've never used xubuntu, so I'm not sure where to
tell you to look.

If NetworkManager is NOT running the show, then the file you'll find
most helpful is /etc/network/interfaces. Its format is described in
the interfaces(5) man page. Assuming that your wired interface is
eth0, you'll probably want a couple lines in that file:

   allow-hotplug eth0
   iface eth0 inet dhcp