[PLUG] Slackware upgrade trouble...

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 00:00:53 UTC 2010

Hello,

Though I haven't been on the Slak train in a while, I will say from
experience with other distros, doing upgrades can be bumpy, and doing one
from such distant versions can result in lots of hair-pulling.

Best results are usually from saving your personal data and installing
fresh.  This prevents any issues similar to what you describe.
A good way to do this is to have /home on a separate partition.  This way
you save everything you want to keep in your /home directory, and you just
reformat / (and any other partitions you have).  You can backup your
configurations in /etc and other places temporarily in /home (I usually do
that with tar.gz files).

HTH

Matt M.
LinuxKnight