[PLUG] GRUB is too nosy

Paul Johnston keinschwein at spiretech.com
Tue Aug 17 04:29:31 UTC 2010

OLD BOX:  Win2K and Red Hat dual-booted on a IDE drive
NEW BOX:  WinXP and Ubuntu (now 10.04) dual-boot, each OS on its' own
SATA drive.  Of course, GRUB handles the boot choices.

I wanted to pull some files off the old IDE drive, so I connected it to
the legacy IDE port on the motherboard.  When I powered up this new
hardware configuration, I was surprised when the GRUB screen asked me to
choose between Win2K and Red Hat Linux.  GRUB preferred the IDE drive to
the two SATA drives.

How do I configure GRUB to prefer the SATA drives over the old IDE
drive?

--
Linux in every box, and C.S. Lewis in every bookpile