[PLUG] UUID

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Tue Aug 17 14:46:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 7:05 AM, Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. <wevl at pacifier.com>wrote:

> Andreas Turriff wrote:
> >   Teach your distribution to identify the root file system by UUID,
> > rather than by /dev filename.
> >
> Is that the problem with not-so-open SuSE?
>
> We wanted to use SuSE for some control systems but were unable to make a
> replacement disk on a computer back at the office and get it to boot
> when it got to the field (on a computer other than the one the disk was
> created on).
> Wayne

It sounds more like a problem with the grub configuration. If you take a
disk out of one computer and put it into another computer then it can appear
to be a different device on the other machine (what was /dev/sda is now
/dev/sdc or ...). The more modern GRUBs get around this problem by using
UUIDs like
UUID=e0dcbbf3-a4fa-4e94-9ec0-c0466aa6fb9d
 to identify the disk instead of device descriptions like /dev/sda.   Does
the grub on your replacement disk use UUIDs?
Also, when you test the replacement disk at the office is it the only one in
the machine? It could be that you are actually booting off another disk in
the system.  When you boot the disk in the field does it get to the GRUB
menu?

Bill