[PLUG] Financial security on the net

Fred James fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net
Wed Aug 18 15:06:58 UTC 2010

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:20:11 -0500
> Fred James <fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net> dijo:
>

>> And a repeat of the standard:  buy only from known and trusted
>>

> There are millions of web merchants. I can't know them all. How can I
> tell if a site is trusted?

John Jason Jordan
That would be the question ... one which I should decline to answer
specifically, except to offer the usual advice ... always check the
ratings and the comments behind the ratings.  In other words, what have
been the experiences of other buyers with any one particular vendor?
The same can be asked of any particular product, in some cases.  But
this whole problem isn't new, or specific to the Internet ... such
things are not at all unknown in the "brick and mortar" world.

One could add ... it looks too good to be true, it probably is ... but
your particular question concerns identity theft, not a product and
possibly not a merchant.  All the same it is just more reason to be
cautious about who you deal with.  Capitalism is at core a very mean and
competitive world view.  That isn't a criticism ... it is just better to
see what is.

With that, I wish you good luck.
Regards
Fred James