[PLUG] Financial security on the net

nathan at nathanewilliams.com nathan at nathanewilliams.com
Wed Aug 18 16:59:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:45:27 -0700, Pete Lancashire <xyzzypdx at gmail.com>
wrote:
> One thing I do is I keep only a "small" amount in the account I do any
> Debit Card
> transactions with. Most of the time it only has $300-400 in it. It is
> a hassle but
> I look at it as a sacrificial line of defense.
>
> -pete

another thing i've started seeing a lot of people doing, which seems
fairly intelligent, is to use pre-paid cards for online transactions. the
only downside to this is that lots of merchants require address validation
be performed to reduce their exposure to chargebacks. fortunately the
pre-paid cards have a number where you can call the vendor (visa/mstr,
whatev) and add an address in their system so the card can pass AVS.

nathan w
non servium