[PLUG] Financial security on the net

Nathan Williams nathan at nathanewilliams.com
Thu Aug 19 01:57:11 UTC 2010

This is true, and something to plan for. It's also why lots of merchants are switching to zero dollar auth checks, though this also comes w/ headaches, as not all card issuers support it, and may decline zero dollar auths even if funds are available.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
On Aug 18, 2010 18:30, Bruce <kd7vvk at gmail.com> wrote:

On 08/18/2010 09:59 AM, nathan at nathanewilliams.com wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:45:27 -0700, Pete Lancashire<xyzzypdx at gmail.com>

> wrote:

>> One thing I do is I keep only a "small" amount in the account I do any

>> Debit Card

>> transactions with. Most of the time it only has $300-400 in it. It is

>> a hassle but

>> I look at it as a sacrificial line of defense.

>> -pete

> another thing i've started seeing a lot of people doing, which seems

> fairly intelligent, is to use pre-paid cards for online transactions. the

> only downside to this is that lots of merchants require address validation

> be performed to reduce their exposure to chargebacks. fortunately the

> pre-paid cards have a number where you can call the vendor (visa/mstr,

> whatev) and add an address in their system so the card can pass AVS.

> nathan w

> non servium

If the prepaid only has enough for the purchase available, when the

online company tests the card for $1 to make sure it is a valid card,

then the transaction won't go through for lack of $1.  I found this out

when I ordered a ham radio online.

Bruce

PLUG at lists.pdxlinux.org