[PLUG] Need Help with setting up and NFS Connection

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Sat Aug 28 19:19:42 UTC 2010

On 08/28/2010 12:31 PM, Kirk Goins wrote:
>   I have a lightly used Mandrake 8.2 server that I need to configure a
> NFS connection to.  I putz occasionally with Linux, so my skills are
> limited. I have Webmin 1.380 installed and have used it in the past to
> get things like Samba configured.
>
> I'm trying to get an IBM Power System running IBM i ( OS/400 - i5/OS )
> configured.  I can get get the mount cmd to mount the connection but
> then I don't have authority to the even view the contents.
>
> Anyone out there willing to a take guess as to the problem?
>
> Thanks

Sounds like you need to adjust the mount options, umasks of the source
folders/files, and starting of NFS services.

Here's a sample line from /etc/exports on the NFS server:

/var/public 192.168.1.0/24(no_subtree_check,rw,no_root_squash)

Then on the client machine I add a line like the following to /etc/fstab:

ns.pippiandcarlos.com:/var/public /home/ckonstanski/public    nfs
defaults,user,noauto   0 0

Make sure that the shared files and folders on the NFS server have at
minimum these "ordinary" permissions: 755 on folders and 644 on files.
Whether it is strictly necessary is something I have not tested personally;
but it's a good starting point for your own investigations. Setting
permissions "looser", i.e. 777 on folders and 666 on files, is not necessary.

Services: On the server I run nfs and portmap. On the client I run portmap,
rpc.idmapd, rpc.pipefs and rpc.statd.

Type "mount /home/ckonstanski/public" (substitute your own path) to mount
the NFS share according to the rules in /etc/fstab. Don't type something
like "mount -t nfs ns:/var/public /home/ckonstanski/public" because you'll
bypass fstab if you tell mount everything it needs to know on the command line.

Carlos