[PLUG] civ 4 Beyond the Sword on wine 1.2 on ubuntu 10.04

Victor Soich vsoich at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 13:03:56 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to get Civ 4 Beyond the Sword on wine 1.2 on ubuntu 10.04 to work.

According to the link

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=16878

The link above says.......

The following tweaks are unavoidable in order to run the game:

* Install MSXML3 and MSXML4 via Winetricks.
* Disable gameux on winecfg -> Libraries.

I didn't install DX9 via Winetricks since I already have installed the
June 2010 release of DX the regular way. Didn't have any problems at
all.

I believe I did the stuff about MSXML3 and MSXML4 via Winetricks correctly.

I don't know what

           Disable gameux on winecfg -> Libraries.

means.  What am I suppose to do?
I don't know what

I didn't install DX9 via Winetricks since I already have installed the
June 2010 release of DX the regular way. Didn't have any problems at
all.

means.  I didn't install any sort of June 2010 release of DX the
regular.  Am I suppose to do something?

At this point, when I click on the icon for Civ 4 Beyond the Sword,
the game actually starts, i.e. I get to the point where I can choose
single player, multi player, et. al, but everything is really slow.
My system had 2 gig or Ram, and a graphics card with 1 gig of Ram on
it, I think, and             cpu MHz		: 2992.7929

I think my hardware is okay to run the game, but maybe not.  I don't know.

So....if I do what people on this list recommend, will my game be fun,
or slow and crappy?  Civ 4 is the only thing I want, must have, am
utterly addicted to, from the windows world!

Sincerely,
Victor