[PLUG] civ 4 Beyond the Sword on wine 1.2 on ubuntu 10.04

Erik Lane eriklane at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 03:47:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Victor Soich <vsoich at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope someone can help.
>
> I upgraded to Wine 1.3.8 using synaptic package manager.  I realized
> that when I go to Applications menu item, and then wine, then
> configure wine, I get a dialog box that says wine configuration with
> tabs on it.  One of the tabs say libraries.  So I figure that has
> something to do with
>
> Disable gameux on winecfg -> Libraries.
>
> but I don't see anything about gameux.
>
> I still don't know about
>
> I didn't install DX9 via Winetricks since I already have installed the
> June 2010 release of DX the regular way. Didn't have any problems at
> all.
>

> Is there anyone on this list able to help me?  If no one knows about
> these issue, can at least one person say that probably no one on the
> list knows.  I just would like the smallest confirmation that someone
> is at least taking a cursory glance at my issue.  I was hoping someone
> in the Portland Metro area could help, but in case not, I emailed to
> appdb at winehq.org.  I hope I am asking for help in an appropriate and
> respectful way.
>
> Thank you,
> Victor Soich

I also love the Civ games, and have Civ4.

But it's been quite a while since I installed it last, so I don't
remember how I did it. Right now is the end of the term, so I'm super
busy. I've got the computer installing Wine, and soon I'll have it
install Civ4. If I run into any problems I can let you know if I'm
able to resolve them. If they get too complicated then they'll have to
wait until after the 10th, when I'll have more time.

Civ4 works better for me under Wine than with Windows. I don't know
why, but it will be fine and then suddenly go super slow - on a
machine with 4 cores and 8 GB ram. This is unpredictable - sometimes
very soon after starting the game and other times quite a while later.

So I can tell you for sure that it does work well, but I might have
had to jump through a couple hoops to make it that way. I can't say
for sure right now.

I'll get back to you once I know more.

Erik