[PLUG] Update repositories in Fedora

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 2 07:51:38 UTC 2010

Back in my Ubuntu days it was simple. All I had to do was open Synaptic
and click on Reload. But now that I'm on Fedora 14 I have to use yum,
and yum is a fickle lady.

Specifically, I'm trying to enable a repo, "updates-testing." I just
want to enable it temporarily to grab a package that will take Fedora
who knows how long to get to the regular updates repo. According to man
yum the command should be "yum --enablerepo=updates-testing." But when
I try that yum just dumps the contents of yum --help. It would be nice
if it would give me at list a hint of what I did wrong.

So after I failed at the command line I tried Yumex. I checked the box
for updates-testing, but couldn't find any button to refresh the
package list. So I shut down Yumex and reloaded it, and when I looked
at the repo list updates-testing was unchecked again. Dammit, I checked
that box to enable that repo and I meant it.

Any suggestions?