[PLUG] Printing Lost After Upgrade to Slackware-13.1

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Dec 7 01:42:18 UTC 2010

   I had not tested printing since upgrading the new hardware to
Slackware-13.1 and fixing all the other issues. Now I need to quickly get
printing working again. I could not print A/P checks from Ledger123 this
morning and just now failed to print a 144-page document from acroread.

   Opening http://localhost:631 in firefox shows no jobs in the print queue.
I re-initialized my HP LaserJet 5 for both double-side (duplex) printing
(printer name laser5_duplex) and single-side (simplex) printing (printer
name laser5_single). Both were defined in the cups list as using cups and
gutenprint (since they're the same physical printer), and printing test
pages from both definitions was successful. The printer is a network node
via a JetDirect card and the connection is socket://lj5:9100/. This has
worked for years.

   In acroread the 144 page document took a long time to rasterize, but the
application finally showed it 'printing' all 144 pages, and the message box
closed. The printer status display continued to show "READY" and never
transissioned to "PROCESSING JOB" and actually printed the job. After the
acroread print box closed I checked the cups admin page and there are no
pending jobs shown.

   Where do I start looking for the source of this problem?

TIA,