[PLUG] Any CUPS Experts Here?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 7 22:04:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 13:05:50 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>I now understand what is preventing printing from my
>server/workstation, but not why or where.
>
>   On my laptop I defined the HP LaserJet 5 with connection
>socket://lj5:9100. I can send jobs to the printer from this host.
>
>On my desktop (the server/workstation), the same printer is defined with
>the same connection, but attempts to print (at least from the command
>line which lets me see the error messages) fail because it cannot
>connect to localhost. 'localhost' is not part of the connection nor is
>it in any /etc/cups/*.conf file. I've no idea where cups is picking
>that up, but it's not been an issue before and is obviously not an
>issue when printing from the laptop.

I haven't been paying attention to this thread. Did you say the printer
was on the ethernet? If not, how is it physically connected?

I have a LJ4+ with ethernet. To connect to it (Gnome desktop) I just
open System > Administration > Printing, right click on the icon for it
and select Properties. In the Properties dialog box the connection is
displayed with a "Change" button next to it. Clicking on the Change
button brings up another dialog box where I can tell CUPS to search for
it. As long as it is turned on CUPS finds it and automatically connects
to it by "socket://192.168.0.15:9100." CUPS came up with that address
so I didn't have to figure out anything. I did the same thing for my
several other networked printers and they always just work.

When you defined "socket://lj5:9100," how did you do it? Did you get
that address by asking CUPS to find the printer? Or did you somehow
create "lj5" yourself and define it manually?

A long time ago I had printers connected via LPT1 on individual
computers. To print to a printer that was connected to a different
computer, that other computer had to have the printer shared so other
computers could print to it through the computer it was attached to.

I'm far from a CUPS expert, but I have learned a lot about CUPS in the
school of "poke at it until it works." Swearing also helps. But it has
to be genuine blue-air swearing. If you're just muttering under your
breath CUPS will continue to be a brat.