[PLUG] Why might wicd fail?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Dec 8 15:24:10 UTC 2010

   This morning the Toshiba running xubuntu-10.10 with wicd replacing
NetworkManager did not want to see the wireless network(s) when 'wicd-client
-n' was run. The window status bar displaed that it was connected to the
wired network when it wasn't.

   I finally got this all straightened out (by commenting out the ethernet
portion of /etc/networking/interfaces) and rebooting a couple of times, but
I'm curious what might have caused this behavior.

   My Google search for wicd troubleshooting found a no-longer-active Web
forum but that provided no insights.

   Has anyone here any relevant experience with wicd suddenly deciding to not
work?