[PLUG] Programs won't launch after going back to nouveau driver

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 9 01:59:19 UTC 2010

Without going into the details of an incredibly long trek, about a
month ago I installed the proprietary nVidia driver on my laptop. The
laptop runs Fedora 14 x86_64 and has the nVidia NVS 140M graphics chip.
Later I uninstalled the nVidia driver and went back to the nouveau
driver. I am happy with the nouveau driver and do not want to go back
to the proprietary driver.

The other day I discovered that System Monitor (ksysguard) would not
launch. The Gnome system monitor still launches, so it's not a big
deal. As far as I know, ksysguard came with the KDE desktop, which I
installed as an alternative to boot to in case some day I mess up Gnome
and can't get the desktop to come up. Normally I use Gnome. From the
command line I get:

$ ksysguard
ksysguard: error while loading shared libraries:
	libnvidia-tls.so.260.19.21: cannot open shared object file: No
	such file or directory

So today I launched Fontmatrix and discovered the same problem:

$ fontmatrix
fontmatrix: error while loading shared libraries:
	libnvidia-tls.so.260.19.21: cannot open shared object file: No
	such file or directory

As far as I know, the libnvidia-tls.so.260.19.21 file was installed by
the proprietary nVidia driver. At least, the "260.19.21" is the version
number that I installed after downloading it from nvidia.com.

Naturally I tried reinstalling Ksysguard and Fontmatrix, but no joy.
Also, I don't know where Ksysguard keeps its configurations, but
Fontmatrix keeps its configurations in ~/.Fontmatrix. I renamed
the .Fontmatrix folder, but still get the same error. In other words,
the problem is not in the config files.

As far as I know these are the only apps affected, but I have a lot of
apps installed and who knows what I will discover later. According to
Google someone has a similar problem with Google Earth, but I don't use
Google Earth, so I can't confirm that. The only other hits that Google
came up with are my posts about this on the Fedora forums, which have
had no response.

I am at a loss to figure out why installing the nVidia driver should
affect these two applications or how it managed to do so. They were
both running fine with the nouveau driver before I installed the nVidia
driver.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?