[PLUG] Hot computer

MJang mike at linuxexam.com
Thu Dec 9 21:13:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 00:01 -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 22:21:38 -0800
> Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> dijo:
>
> >On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:07 PM, John Jason Jordan
> ><johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:
> >

> >> Something is eating my CPUs, but top and the GUI are lying to me. I
> >> need suggestions for other ways to find the culprit.
> >>

> >This might do the trick.
> > http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/powertop/
>
> I installed powertop, but the features don't work. For example, it says
> to disable the unused wireless with "ifconfig wlan0 down," so I do so,
> tell powertop to refresh, and it still says to disable unused wireless.
> Ditto for all its other recommendations.

There are apparently special issues w/r/t Thinkpad fans and Linux, ref
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_10.04_%28Lucid_Lynx%
29_on_a_ThinkPad_Z61m

If I understand correctly, there were problems with fan control on older
thinkpads, which led to fans being reset to run too fast, leading to
noise complaints about fans on some Ubuntu installations on T series
laptops.

On Ubuntu, there are some fan control packages associated with
Thinkpads. I found them with the following command:

apt-cache search thinkpad

This is just from memory, as I'm a bit intense within RHEL 6 at the
moment.

Thanks,
Mike