[PLUG] Hot computer

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Dec 10 01:24:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 05:08:57 -0800
Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us> dijo:

>On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 09:07:00PM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> For the past several days my Thinkpad T61 has felt hot. And I have
>> two CPU monitors in the Gnome panel, one for CPU0 and the other for
>> CPU1, and they have both been running close to the max all the time.
>>
>> I tried Gnome System Monitor, but it shows nothing taking more than a
>> few percent of the CPU. When I run top it shows top as taking 95-100%
>> of the CPU (strange), but nothing else is ever more than 10%.
>>
>> The CPUs running at close to the max all the time continues even if I
>> reboot and log in, but do not launch any apps at all.
>
>Boot from CD and do a root kit check.
>How is your network access in all of this?

The network seems fine; no change.

I installed and ran:

chrootkit
rkhunter
unhide

They all reported nothing, except "unhide sys" found a long list of
hidden processes. "Aha!" I thought. So I checked them with top (maximum
20 at a time). All looked perfectly normal and only two or three were
consuming any CPU% at all, and they were taking only 1-3%. The only
oddity was that several had more than one instance of the process
running, and one (console-kit-dae) had around 60 instances running. But
none of them were taking any CPU or RAM.

I tried to figure out from man top how to tell top just to give me an
interactive CPU graph or statistics. I think the GUI (Gnome System
Monitor) is lying.