[PLUG] Programs won't launch after going back to nouveau driver

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Fri Dec 10 04:39:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 19:51, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> I ran "ldd -v $(which fontmatrix) > ~/ldd_fontmatrix.txt. Then I opened
> up the text file and searched on nvidia. All I found were the same two
> lines as before:
>
>       libnvidia-tls.so.260.19.21 => not found
>       libnvidia-glcore.so.260.19.21 => not found
> But this section contained no reference to nVidia.

Odd.  Might be related to prelink still as I'm not sure how prelinking
affects the output of ldd.

> If I run prelink I get:
>
> [root at Devil8 jjj]# prelink /usr/bin/fontmatrix
> prelink: /usr/bin/fontmatrix: Could not find one of the dependencies
>
> I tried reading the man page for prelink, but couldn't follow most of
> it.

Assuming Fedora 14, which you mentioned in your original post...

The 'prelink' cron script that normally gets run can be found in the
/etc/cron.daily/ directory.  You should be able to run it directly
with:
$ /etc/cron.daily/prelink

If that doesn't work, let's try to figure out what references the
library the hard way.  The following commands list out the names of
any libraries or executables that mention 'libnvidia-tls' (this will
take a while).
$ grep -lr 'libnvidia-tls' {,/usr,/usr/local}{/lib,/lib64}/
$ grep -lr 'libnvidia-tls' {,/usr,/usr/local}{/bin,/sbin}/

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund
daniel at digitree.org