[PLUG] Programs won't launch after going back to nouveau driver

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Dec 10 05:39:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 20:39:32 -0800
Daniel Hedlund <daniel at digitree.org> dijo:

>On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 19:51, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
>wrote:
>> I ran "ldd -v $(which fontmatrix) > ~/ldd_fontmatrix.txt. Then I
>> opened up the text file and searched on nvidia. All I found were the
>> same two lines as before:
>>
>>       libnvidia-tls.so.260.19.21 => not found
>>       libnvidia-glcore.so.260.19.21 => not found
>> But this section contained no reference to nVidia.

>Assuming Fedora 14, which you mentioned in your original post...
>
>The 'prelink' cron script that normally gets run can be found in the
>/etc/cron.daily/ directory.  You should be able to run it directly
>with:
>$ /etc/cron.daily/prelink

It ran for a while, then stopped without any error messages. But
Fontmatrix still gives the same error message.

>If that doesn't work, let's try to figure out what references the
>library the hard way.  The following commands list out the names of
>any libraries or executables that mention 'libnvidia-tls' (this will
>take a while).
>$ grep -lr 'libnvidia-tls' {,/usr,/usr/local}{/lib,/lib64}/
>$ grep -lr 'libnvidia-tls' {,/usr,/usr/local}{/bin,/sbin}/

The sbin command returned nothing, other than a dozen "no such address
or device" messages. But the lib64 command (in addition to a couple
dozen similar error messages), gave the following:

/usr/lib64/libcucul.so.0.99.17
/usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_plasma-desktop.so
/usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_ksmserver.so
/usr/lib64/libGL.so.1
/usr/lib64/libplasmagenericshell.so.4.5.0
/usr/lib64/libkworkspace.so.4.5.0
/usr/lib64/libfltk_gl.so.1.1
/usr/lib64/libcucul.so.0
/usr/lib64/cinepaint/0.22-1/plug-ins/icc_examin_cp
/usr/lib64/libglut.so.3.9.0
/usr/lib64/libkwineffects.so.1
/usr/lib64/libclutter-gtk-0.10.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib64/libGLEW.so.1.5
/usr/lib64/libftgl.so.2.1.3
/usr/lib64/libplasma.so.3
/usr/lib64/libcaca.so.0.99.17
/usr/lib64/libcaca.so.0
/usr/lib64/libplasma.so.3.0.0
/usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_kwin.so
/usr/lib64/libGLU.so.1
/usr/lib64/libGL.so.260.19.21
/usr/lib64/libkwineffects.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_ksysguard.so
/usr/lib64/libplasmagenericshell.so.4
/usr/lib64/libclutter-gtk-0.10.so.0
/usr/lib64/libftgl.so.2
/usr/lib64/libGLU.so.1.3.070900
/usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_krunner.so
/usr/lib64/libglut.so.3
/usr/lib64/libkworkspace.so.4
/usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_plasma-windowed.so
/usr/lib64/libGLEW.so.1.5.5

The first thing I noticed was cinepaint. I tried launching it and
discovered that it won't launch either. However, the error message is
somewhat different:

cinepaint
Locale found in /usr/share/locale
No protocol specified
(cinepaint:6193): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0

I reinstalled it with yum, but it continues to give the same error
message.

The second thing I noticed is

/usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_ksysguard.so

Recall that ksysguard was my other app that won't launch and gives the
same error message as Fontmatrix.

I suppose the next thing to do is look through the list of dependencies
for Fontmatrix and cross-reference to the above list.