[PLUG] Programs won't launch after going back to nouveau driver

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Fri Dec 10 22:35:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:17, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> So I reinstalled mesa-libGL and it recreated the link that I had
> renamed. WTH? Of course, recreating the link means Fontmatrix is back
> telling me that it can't find libnvidia-tls.so.260.19.21.

Hmm...maybe the nvidia driver registered itself with the
'alternatives' database.  Check out the /etc/alternatives/ directory
and see if you the lib* files are listed in there.  If so then you
might be able to run commands similar to the following to display and
change where the symlink points:
$ alternatives --display libGL.so.1
$ alternatives --config libGL.so.1

When you uninstalled the nvidia drivers, did you just start deleting
files or did you run 'make uninstall'?  If not then you might try
downloading NVIDIA's tar.gz file, 'configure' and 'make uninstall' it;
it might reset the symlinks in the process.

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund
daniel at digitree.org