[PLUG] Screenshots with Gimp 2.6.8

Wayne E. Van Loon Sr. wevl at pacifier.com
Sat Dec 11 19:22:45 UTC 2010

Rich Shepard wrote:
>    Slackware-13.1 has gimp-2.6.8 included (yes, the GIMP is up to 2.6.11, but
> I'm using what comes in the distribution 'cause it's always been Good
> Enough). This version of the GIMP seems to have droped the screenshot
> acquire feature. The menus have moved off the tool window and I cannot find
> the acquire option anywhere.
>
>    Does anyone know where that capability has gone? Alternatively, what other
> tool can do the job? (ImageMagick?)

Rich:
You might look at xview. It has always shipped with Slackware since I've
been using it. Start xview by typing xv. When the little window comes
up, right click anywhere on it to get the xv controls window. The "grab"
function is what you want. You can capture after some time delay if you
want to arm the capture and then give focus to the window that you want
to capture.

Xview has a good selection of tools to crop, rotate, flip, reduce etc. I
couldn't live without it and add it to ubuntu systems.
Wayne