[PLUG] Controlling DNS with cable...

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Wed Dec 15 06:46:12 UTC 2010

An inferior solution is to set my Netgear RP614v4 router to use a DSL
based static ip subnet as the source for DNS queries.  This will work
unless the DSL is down.  Oops!  I need a better solution.

Is there any way to use OpenDNS with a residential Comcast cable
account?

Comcast really should fix this problem.  It is a shame that the DNS
services Comcast offers don't include filtering capabilities.  I
should be able to log in to their DNS servers with say an account
number and a password to set filtering options.

Part of the whole point of having both Cable and DSL based Internet
connections is to have redundancy.  If the DNS queries are always
routed through the DSL link, there isn't any redundancy.

The Netgear router I'm using with the cable modem has a dynamic dns
feature...  I wonder if I can use this feature to lock down what my
address is so I can use OpenDNS directly?

I could switch to a business account, but that is a lot of expense
I should think for an otherwise simple and common problem.

Before anyone says use a filtered proxy, I don't want to force the
use of a proxy because of privacy and security concerns.  Doing
online banking through a filter proxy isn't an ideal situation.