[PLUG] can't login to my ar410w router

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Thu Dec 16 00:47:37 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Victor" == Victor Soich <vsoich at gmail.com> writes:

Victor> Dear Russell Furthermore, in the Quick Installation Guide,
Victor> which is for windows, it says,

Victor> After your IP address is released, click Renew. You should get
Victor> an IP address of 192.168.1.x (where x is a number between 2 -
Victor> 254). If you don.t get an IP address, reset the router by
Victor> holding in the reset button at the back of the router for 10
Victor> seconds while it is ON and try Renew again.

Victor> but in this in the context of windows, where within dialog
Victor> boxes I hit buttons that say "Renew", "Release", etc.  I don't
Victor> know the way to do it from the command line, and I don't know
Victor> how to bring up these dialog boxes in ubuntu.

They are talking about DHCP.  You can refresh your lease in Network
Manager by "disconnecting" and then reconnecting your ethernet
interface via the panel widget or by unplugging/replugging your
ethernet cable.  You are using ethernet, and not wireless?  Sometimes
configuration is disabled over wireless for security reasons.

If you are forced to do the dhcp manually, you can try this:

  $ sudo stop network-manger
  $ sudo dhclient eth0

you should see some DHCP messages, then confirm you can ping the
thing:

  $ ping 192.168.1.1

do you dirty admin interface business with the browser, then turn on
network-manager again when you are done:

  $ sudo start network-manager

(this assumes a recent ubuntu)

--
Russell Senior, President