[PLUG] Laptop issues

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Thu Dec 16 08:05:32 UTC 2010

>>>>> "John" == John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> writes:

John> Does the laptop have a USB port? If so it's probably 1.1, but
John> will still work with more modern USB devices, just more
John> slowly. So you could possibly scare up a USB CD drive.

It has usb2.  The CPU is a 2.4GHz P4.  It's not *that* old.

John> Or do you need to boot to the CD drive? If the laptop is as old
John> as it sounds, the BIOS probably doesn't offer the option of
John> booting to a USB drive, even if it's really a CD.

That's possible.  I suggested trying that route also, but Denis is
lacking the thumbdrive facilities.  That's probably the cheapest route
at the moment.  Use /bin/dd to copy the Win98 install CD to a
harddisk, and then build a bootable USB drive from that image.  Ubuntu
calls it the "Startup Disk Creator".

John> Maybe I didn't read carefully enough. What do you need the CD
John> drive for?

To install windows 98, the most recent OS with drivers for the
scanner.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net