[PLUG] Buying your own cable modem...

someone plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Thu Dec 16 08:31:13 UTC 2010

I have a rented from Comcast Arris TM722 ?G modem.  It has no usb
port, one phone port, one ethernet port, and of course a cable
connection.

I've been googling trying to find a source to buy the same modem from so I can
return the rental.  I figure I'll be with Comcast for a year at least.
  If I disconnect, I might want to reconnect down the road.  It is
less hassle if I
own the equipment and don't have to pay an extra $5/month.  Much
easier if Comcast can essentially throw a switch and I'm back up.

If I can pick up a modem for $60 or less with the VOIP features, it
doesn't make sense to rent, especially if I stick with Comcast for
longer than a year.

I need an external modem, I use a Netgear RP614v4 between the cable
modem and my Linux based routers.

I have opendns and dyndns.com set up, but it's hard to get the cable
modem to come up with a different ip address and hence difficult to
verify that opendns still works when the ip address changes.

On dyndns.com I paid $15 for 1 year service, don't know if I needed to though.

believed to be clean.