[PLUG] Buying your own cable modem...

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 16 18:56:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:40:53 -0800
"chris (fool) mccraw" <gently at gmail.com> dijo:

>Dunno about you but I just got some snailmail from comcast last week
>saying rental rates were going up to 7$/month.  I'm also thinking
>about buying tho maybe I can go cheaper since I don't need voip...
>
>Also dyndns works fine without paying.  I use their free service and
>have for almost a decade.  They email you a link you have to click
>once a month and you can only have one or two hostnames, but that
>works fine for me.

I have had Comcast for ten - fifteen years and have never rented their
modem, except during the first month.

About three years ago my original modem died (during a dist-upgrade, of
all things - gawd what a mess that made!). I googled for good quality
replacements and ended up with a Linksys CM100. I don't recall how much
I paid, but you can get it for $53 with free shipping here:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Cisco-Cable-Ethernet-Connection/dp/B000WIK61I

Once you install it you have to call Comcast technical support. They
peer down the line, see the modem, and add it to your account. That's
it. It just works.