[PLUG] Buying your own cable modem...

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Fri Dec 17 00:55:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 02:47:34PM -0800, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> Thanks Paul, I think I'm stuck buying a different modem though because
> this one doesn't support VOIP.  Apparently, Best Buy is the only place I
> can purchase an Arris TM722G and according to Comcast it will run me
> $250.

By VoIP, do you mean it has a jack for your phone, or that it supports the
QoS/VLAN features that Comcast uses for their VoIP service?

Regular low-grade DOCSIS modems are available at FreeGeek and Goodwill, and
I've got a spare recent-model Motorola sitting in my attic.

> Apparently, if I drop digital voice service I can purchase the above
> modem and stop renting, but I kinda like the voice service.

Land-lines have service guarantees, often work better with FAX machines,
and work when the power's out.  (Just make sure you have a wired phone!)

Better duopoly than monopoly,
  Aaron