[PLUG] Buying your own cable modem...

Daniel Johnson teknotus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 01:32:20 UTC 2010

> By VoIP, do you mean it has a jack for your phone, or that it supports the
> QoS/VLAN features that Comcast uses for their VoIP service?

Back when the local cable TV network was owned by AT&T it had phone
service on it, and I had a line through them.  It worked even when the
Cable, and internet went out.

> Regular low-grade DOCSIS modems are available at FreeGeek and Goodwill, and
> I've got a spare recent-model Motorola sitting in my attic.

DOCSIS 3.0 is new, and important if you want it to actually still work
a few years from now.

> Land-lines have service guarantees, often work better with FAX machines,
> and work when the power's out.  (Just make sure you have a wired phone!)

The phone line I had through the cable company years ago was powered
from the cable.  They split out the high voltage before hooking up to
the in home cable jacks that go to TV's and such.  If this is a device
that plug into a normal cable jack in the wall it probably doesn't
have this power source.