[PLUG] Buying a cable modem instead of renting...

Patrick J. Timlick p.j.timlick at ieee.org
Fri Dec 17 22:20:25 UTC 2010

With some amount of pain, you could use any old modem and go to a third
party VOIP provider, (I use vitelity.net), and a linux based pbx, (I use
freepbx).  Freepbx will run on a very modest pc, although it costs me about
$4/mo for electricity for it.   For a $99 you can get a plug pc, said to be
able to run freepbx using much less power, (let us know how that works).

You will also need a Voip phone (I use a Cisco SPA942).  I haven't had any
luck hooking Freepbx to the analog house phone wiring, although many others
have.  I have had some luck with running ethernet through the old phone
wiring to run a remote Voip phones.

The main advantage is the cost, I pay some cents per minute, and I don't
talk much, so my Voip phone bill is low, less than $10 month.  I just added
another line and it costs $1.50/mo + talk time.  Also, you have more
capabilities, e.g. I email myself the .WAV files of  voicemails that are
left for me.

-- Pat