[PLUG] x86 package on Linux

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Dec 19 06:18:07 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 17:05, Mark S. Townsley <mstownsley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the link and it has good info.
> Next question then is what is the proper #86 type I should using for any
> processor if I need/want to compile with the optimal performance?   I have
> several boxes and they are various Intel and AMD processors.  Is there a way
> to find out for each one of them?

You should simply ignore the problem.  (No, seriously.)

There is close to zero detectable performance difference between
software tuned for an i686 and whatever recent 32-bit system you use;
you actually get better results just using the amd64 mode and taking
advantage of the much higher baseline system spec.

Anything that is going to benefit significantly will tune itself at
runtime to the system, automatically, so you don't need to do anything
by hand.  (Which is basically the kernel, libc, and a couple of crypto
libraries.)

Regards,
    Daniel
--