[PLUG] PLUG Digest, Vol 75, Issue 40

David Fleck david.fleck at mchsi.com
Tue Dec 21 01:11:19 UTC 2010

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010, Mark Jones wrote:
> I still don't see anything in Yast ->Network Devices->Network settings
> except the ethernet card. I know the USB port I'm using for the
> wireless adapter works--when I plug my Nook into it, it detects the
> device and I can interact with it easily. I suppose the (new) wireless
> adaptor could be borked, but I don't know how likely that is, or how
> to check it. Or what else the problem might be if that isn't it.

Do you see anything in dmesg that would indicate the kernel is recognizing
the wireless adapter?  This is a different adapter (and a different
version of SUSE), but something like:

usb 2-2: using firmware atmel_at76c505-rfmd2958.bin (version 1.101.0-86)
wlan0: USB 2-2:1.0, MAC 00:0c:41:5b:38:e6, firmware 1.101.0-86
wlan0: regulatory domain 0x10: FCC (USA)
usbcore: registered new interface driver at76_usb

and if I look in /proc/modules:
# cat /proc/modules | grep at76
at76_usb 79252 0 - Live 0xe11a5000
firmware_class 13696 1 at76_usb, Live 0xe115a000
usbcore 152012 4 at76_usb,usbhid,uhci_hcd, Live 0xe10fe000

I see that the at76_usb driver/kernel module is loaded.

I think this is the crux of the issue here - you've got to get the system
to load and use the kernel module.

> I really like my linux box most of the time. But there are times when
> I'm frustrated enough to wonder about going back to Windows. Then I
> remember what dealing with Windows was like and the feeling eventually
> goes away....

Wireless networking is the part of the Linux experience where newbies can
get a taste of what it was like running Linux back in the '90s.

--
David Fleck
david.fleck at mchsi.com