[PLUG] startssl (was firefox updates and certs)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Dec 21 08:02:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:21:04PM -0800, wes wrote:
> Are you importing the hospital's CA into firefox? or just setting
> an exception for that host to not require a valid SSL cert?

Firefox, and probably other tools.  The hospital is using Citrix,
and that is using the same infrastructure, but it seems to want
the certs someplace in addition to the Firefox certs and exceptions.
I think, not clear yet.  I was doing this in the evening, when the
linux-aware-though-not-skilled folks were at home.  More tomorrow,
perhaps.

> You can get a free cert at startssl.com.

Which may be very useful for my own endeavors, thank you.  Do all
the recent browsers accept these certs?  In the beginning I will
be using them only for protecting encrypted information exchanges
with customers.  Later I (or more accurately, the folks I sell the
business to) will be using them for ecommerce, and will probably
get the high-octane certifications.  I assume startssl certs won't
interfere with that;  I can simply stop referring to startssl and
start referring to thawte or whoever.

Keith